Friday, September 30, 2011

"Tenugui Book & Tenugui Tote"


"Green Tea"
This is a Tengui Book about Japanese Green Tea.
From how they grow it to how to serve it.

A few years back, a friend of mine in Tokyo sent me a "Tenugui Bon" 
"Bon" means "Book" in Japanese.  A book made from One Tenugui without cutting it.  It was folded such way that it became a small book, a very soft fabric book.  It came with diagram, therefore I could see what the tenugui looks like when it is opened.  
I don't have heart to cut the thread holding the shape of Tenugui-Bon.  But if I do, it will open up to a smarty printed "Tenugui"
Since then, I am collecting these wonderfully Japanese little things.  
Some of big cities have their own version of "Tenugui Bon" such places as Tokyo, Yokohama, Kyoto, Kanazawa.....  I have a few of them.
But my favorites are books about Japanese culture, such as Food, Tea, Festivals, Calligraphy, Onsen(hot springs)....
You get the idea ?  I have some of those as well.
Recently, I discovered that I can get a case for it. Now I keep it in the case, then put them on the bookself.  They are just like small-size books, I used to buy in Japan to keep in a bag to carry around when I was reading it.

"Calligraphy"
 This is how I keep "Tenugui Bon"

Book about "Japanese Things", "Family Crests", "Onsen" , "Rice"

They are my Tenugui Bon Collection, so far.

All Books are open.
Some of the images may look familiar to you, don't they ?


One of the other things made from Tenugui is "Tenugui Tote Bag"  
When I was visiting Kanazawa, I walked into this small shop which specialized in things very traditionally Japanese.  
When I was living there, I used to despise shops like that. 
But now, finding shops like that is becoming such a pleasure.  I have no power over getting into the place like that....
There were many things I wanted to get in that shop in Kanazawa, but I had to make a choice.  After all, I just checked into a small Japanese style B&B a few steps away.  I needed to see the rest of the city before spending money at the very first shop in that city.
But, there was a Tote Bag Made from a Scallion-Print Tenugui.  I was carrying my guide book with my hand.  Therefore I needed to have a tote for me to put things in to be able to walk around.  At least I found a good excuse to spend money.  So I got that tote that morning.
It was well-made bag.  It had a lining and small patch-pocket inside.  I'll never find a fabric bag like that in the USA.  
I'm so glad that I bought my "Naganegi (Scallion) Tote"  Since I've gotten that tote, I made a few totes from "Tenugui" I purchased in Kyoto.  One of them is in "Senbei Tenugui (Japanese Rice Cracker Print Tenugui)"  
I still have few more of those Tenugui with Non Traditional Print which are perfect for tote bags me to make...

"Senbei Tote" & "Naganegi Tote"

No comments:

Post a Comment