Sunday, May 13, 2012

"Carnations for the Mother's Day"





If I can remember correctly, in Japan the flower for Mother's Day is the Carnation.
My childhood memory tells me that in the elementally school, every kid got a Red Silk Carnation to wear on their chest.  If your mother passed, you've got a White Silk Carnation. 
Whether our mothers are with us or not, that  gesture expressed "Okaasan Arigatoh" which means "Thank You Mother".  I don't know if that is still going on in Japan.  I also don't know how that tradition started in Japan, but it was always that way on 2nd week in May before Sunday comes.   That was our way to show the unconditional love we got from our mothers. 
We don't have expression "Happy.... Day !" to put in the front of holidays or special days in the year.
I was trying to get some White Carnations for home yesterday, but I couldn't find them even at every groceries stores on the streets.  I'm sure that in Japan we will be seeing Red Carnations every where this past week and today, just like Red Roses for the Valentine Days. 
Carnations got bad reputation in recent years.  But, I thought they are starting to come back.  Not those artificial colored ones, only naturally colored Carnations.  
I hope those Fake Blue, Green, Purple ones will never be used for Bouquets.
Even if, I personally do not like Carnations for my home, I'd like to have some of them for Mothers' Day.  Since I still vividly remember the meaning of having Carnations for today, I'll be more than happy to have White Carnation Bouquet on the table.  Shall I get some other White Carnation Like Flowers for Mothers' Day ?
But yet, my search for Carnations will continue.....









No comments:

Post a Comment