Saturday, April 9, 2011

First Sign of Spring !





This weekend we finally got Spring in the air.
One week made such a big difference at Farmers' Market. All of a sudden many flowers were filling up the Union Square on Saturday Morning. 
Magnolias, Cherry Blossoms, Daffodils, Tulips, Hyacinths, Primroses, Crocuses, Pansies to name a few. There were so many more varieties of flowers you could see at the market. 
Some of them were in pots with earth for Gardeners who were waiting to have them for their own flower beds. Others were simply for us to keep in vases at home to have a little bit of Spring with us to calibrate that Winter is gone.... 
You just couldn't help taking pictures of them. 
I took many pictures of Spring Flowers just like everybody else.











The most exciting thing for me was that I found Fresh Herbs at the "Stokkes' Farm Stand".  This was the first time since I saw them at the end of last year. "Welcome Back Stokkes !"
They are at North East corner of Union Square every Saturday until end of December. They had only 4 kinds of fresh herbs for now. Nevertheless they made me so happy. 
Finally the Spring has arrived in New York City. 
I'm very happy to have Fresh Herbs in my kitchen, especially "Fresh Mint". 
From now on, I can make "Mint Tisane" whenever I want.  This can be just for me to have as for afternoon break, or can be served for guests. Today I had it as a "Hot Tisane" but I'm hoping to have it as "Cold Tisane" very soon.
Talking about "Tisane", I found a new favorite thing at "Trader Joe's". I think this is a new item for them also. It called "Yuzu Tisane", you can find it in the Tea Section. One package makes a lovely cup of drink hot or cold. I already served as "Yuzunade" for the Brunch Party I had last month.  That was my another Japanese twist for that Party, which I forgot to mention in my previous BLOG.
Some of you are already know what "Yuzu" is. It is a Japanese Citrus. 
Its nothing like lemon, nor lime, very distinctive citrus flavor Japanese love to add to dishes. It is getting very popular among New York Restaurants for flavoring of Fish and Poultry and especially for Desserts.
Getting back to "Mint Tisane", I make them regularly when I can get fresh mint.
I drink as hot or cold all the time. It is a great soothing drink specially at midnight with honey when you can't falling sleep.
Since I still have some "Candied Meyer-Lemon Peel", I had "Mint Tisane" with them this afternoon. You could drop some into the tea cup or you simply taste them between sips of  "Mint Tisane".
This must be good for something ?  Just look at that color !




This is how I serve my "Mint Tea"

No comments:

Post a Comment