Wednesday, April 27, 2011

First Greens at The Saturday Market.


Somehow this White-Hydrangea remanded me the First Spring Greens.
Fresh Green Leaves coming through between White Snow like Flowers. 

at one of my must stops at the Farmers' Market.
  
Adding to few fresh Herbs I started to get at Union Square, last 2 Saturday Farmers' Market we finally started seeing GREENS as well.  They are not Green House Grown. Only 4~5 kinds of Greens appearing for now, but still they are grown locally so we can taste the Spring. I had to get them for dinner. 
Flowers are great !  But for me Fresh Greens made me to say "Spring is definitely here ! ". When you see Ramps in the market, that is the sign for Spring's Arrival. 
I did not get Ramps yet, but I'll get them to make soup maybe next weekend.
What can I make for dinner from those fresh Greens ?
Here are the those lovely Fresh Spring Greens, Ramps, Broccoli-Raab, Collards, Green Kale, Red Russian Kale......
I'll come up with some Pasta Dishes, or some side-dishes to go with ?







Ever since I had the Orecchiette Pasta with Broccoli Raab and Sausage in Italy some time ago, Broccoli Raab became one of my favorite Spring to Summer Vegetables. So I have to make that pasta with some healthy changes. 
Nowadays, we try to have as much "Whole Wheat Pasta" as possible. But I can't still find "Whole Wheat Orecchiette Pasta" yet, the closest pasta I can get today is "Whole Wheat Shells".
I also got "Red Russian Kale", just because it was so pretty to look at. 
If a veggie is so pretty to look at, usually it is good for you and very tasty as well. You really taste foods with your eyes first. 
A simple sauté will make good side dish with this purplish leafy vegetable.
I have been getting "Green-House Grown Basil and Tomatoes" for salad and pasta until late Spring to Summer, I just can't to help it when I see them in the market. But I will be able to get them from New Jersey maybe within 2 months?
Don't forget, I'm getting Fresh Mint, Thyme, and Oregano almost a month now. 
I will make something with them as well.
I'll make more than one Pasta. And Side-Dishes to go with Pastas. 
I may have to invite a few friends for the Pasta Dinner. 


Sunchoke Salad
with
 Mint & Hazelnuts & Orange Flower Water.

Whole Wheat Pasta Shells
with
Turkey Sausage & Broccoli-Raab

Sautéed Red Russian Kale
with
 Edamame & Garlic.

Turkey Meat Balls over Whole Wheat Spaghetti
with 
Tomato Sauce with Portobello Mushrooms & Basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment