Monday, July 18, 2011

"Obon" Festival in Bryant Park.


Sunday July 10th, I went to Bryant Park to join the "Obon Dance Festival"
"Obon" originated in the 6th century B.C. from the legend of Shakyamuni Buddha.
Throughout Japan "Obon" is a Summer Buddhist Holiday which honors the memory of those who passed away. 
As I can remember from my childhood, "Obon" always started with going to visit the family cemetery. Bringing the candles & incense & flowers to the family tombstones. The family lot was cleaned first, new flowers were placed in the vases, then incenses were lit and we would pray.  From the burning incenses we take the flame to light a new candle.  We would bring home that burning candle in a Paper Lantern as a symbol of our ancestors' spirits.  I was always too nervous to carry that lantern home, because if you lose the flame on the way, you had to go back to cemetery to start over. 
During few days of "Obon" candles were staying lit from that flame in your home. 
I remember my grand-mother made some special foods in those hot summer days to welcome the spirits of our ancestors.
And there was "Bon Odori"  Bon is short cut for Obon, Odori means dance. People gathered at the biggest park in town every evening, dancing to traditional Japanese folk music for "Obon".  Everybody was wearing "Yukata" and joined the dancing crowd or watched people dancing. There were more attractions along the way to the "Bon Odori" 
I remembered I used to go there with my sister and mother, I tried to persuade them to buy me cotton candy or shaved ice. Sometimes I got gold fish by scooping them up with a little rice-paper spoon. You can get as many gold fish you can till your paper spoon gets distorted by the water in the shallow fish-catching game spot. That was the most popular game at the "Obon Festival" 
Of course I was wearing "Yukata" and "Geta" (wooden flip-flap) which makes that sound. To me those sounds from "Geta" and "Furin" (wind charm) are memories of summers of my childhood in Japan.


I discovered "Obon Festival in New York" organized by New York Buddhist Church a few years ago through my friends. 
This year's festival is the 62nd annual festival. I guess Buddhism has settled here a long time.....
It is little bit strange to go to "Bon Odori" in daylight. As I said, it was always an evening part of festival to me through the years in Japan.
Nevertheless this event brings me back so many memories of my childhood. 
As you can see in photos I took that afternoon, many people not only Japanese were wearing "Yukata"  Cotton Kimono which is designed to wear casually for the Hot Summer Days and Nights.
Traditionally you would stick "Uchiwa", a fan made from bamboo and paper, between "Yukata" and tied "Obi"  So when you need to cool off, it is easy you to reach it. When you started to dance again you would stick it back, so that your hands will be free for the dancing. And I must say "Uchiwa" makes perfect accessory for your "Yukata" in the summer.
Of course I found some people were doing exactly that in Bryant Park among the Bon Odori Dancers in the middle of New York City.


Two sisters having same design "UCHIWA' in the back.
Young Girl is not old enough to have OBI yet !

Chinese Character "MATSURI" means "Festival"

I know what she wants to have after dancing...

Red Blue and White, something tells me she is not Japanese.

Nice Color Coordination !

Iris is the her choice of flowers for that day.
Black & Gray and touch of Yellow, perfect ensemble.

I have a feeling that this is an antique "Uchiwa".

"Red Mt. Fuji"  this one was the best "Uchiwa"of the day.

Pattern Pattern and more Pattern !

Same design "Uchiwa" in two different Colors.

Lilac, Pink, Sky Blue, and Yellow & White.
Another great ensemble of the day. 
Of course "Uchiwa" makes the outfit...

Mother & Daughter.
Mother's Obi is very Special !

This was the chicest men's ensemble of the day.
You can see the foot-wear as well.

Navy & Gold.
Men can handle metallic as well.

Perfect back view to end this blog Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment