Sunday, August 7, 2011

"SUMMER BLACK"


We often hear about "Winter White"
The color which we were not supposed to wear for the winter became such a trendy color for every Fall. And every September many Fashion Insiders started to talk about "Winter White".
And we did and will see some celebrities wearing white outfits on TV. 
But, it never became part of main stream fashion, just because it is not practical. White outfits will make us feel cold in the winter. And let's face it, they are so difficult to keep clean.
Then how about black ?  Should someone talk about "Summer Black"?
Is wearing black clothes in the summer practical ?  When we have a heat wave, weather reporters will say "Make sure to wear White or Light Colored Clothing !"  
And scientists will say, white shirts will reflect heat from Sun, but black tee shirts will soak up the Sun Light and hold on to it.
But we New Yorkers still wear black clothes even in the middle of the summer. 
You will see men wearing Black Tee Shirts & Black Jeans with sweat on their faces. Ladies are walking in the Little Back Dress with Black High Heels. 
Why is that?  Is it the color black that makes them Fashionable?  Must be some reason for them to stay in black all year around. Is this a very New York thing?  
When you're traveling in this country and happen to be wearing black clothes, they will ask you "Must be visiting from New York ?  Because you are in Black" 
But I'm telling you, if you find a popular/trendy spot where people gather, you will find some local people in black.
Whereever you go, you always find some people in black fashion.  Maybe not many as you will see in this city, but people who love to wear black clothing are everywhere !  In Japan, we call them "KARASU ZOKU".  This means "Crow Tribe" people who like to wear black. 
I became "KARASU ZOKU" in the 80s. Yes, I do wear Black a lot, but not head-to-toe in the summer. When I chose to wear solid black bottoms or tops, I'll almost always add some white thing to go with it.  Or a black-print piece would be the other choice for outfits. 
My closet is full with cloth in black or black-print. That makes very easy me to see what goes with what ?  And I'm also noticing many of my things will go together. And getting new shoes & accessories are getting easier and easier. 
I think, people who mainly wears black became that way gradually and naturally. 
Or, they would say " Black is easy, I don't need to have too much time for me to decide what to wear. And I can easily imagine how I would look in them...." 
For me, it was a conscious decision to become "Karasu Zoku" when I was in an art school in Tokyo. I'll talk about it some other time. Something I heard in "Draping Class" gave me a great reason to became one.
Here are the things I wear during the summer. Most of them are my originals, some are more than 10 years old. I adore all of them.  And of course they are mostly in black or prints in black.
Some of them became my signature pieces for the summer. Some people will remember me by these clothing.....


Cotton Jacquard Top is from "NUNO" in Tokyo.
Black Matte Jersey Pull-on pants will go every where with me. 
This one could be my 10th Matte Jersey Pants ?

I'm wearing this African Print Cotton Pants over 10 years.

 The Shirt is made from a Cotton Scarf I got in Hawaii a long time ago.
It dries within 1/2 hour if I need to wash it.
Pants are made of fabric from "NUNO"

Tee-Shirt is by Yohji Yamamoto.
Pants are specially made for me by "Nuno"

 Brazilian Sleeveless tee was given to me as a souvenir.
Pants are sewn from fabric which is supposed to be cut into individual Bandanas.

Simply Cut T-Shape Top, fabric designed by "Ken Tisa"
Short pants are made of Cotton Print from "Marimekko"

Since I've not talked about "Scarves" for some time, I decided to include my "Summer Scarves" in this Blog. You may think no one needs a scarf in summer days. But as you all know, when you go to see movies or broadway shows, all theaters are almost always over air-conditioned. So there is a good reason I have to have them with me in the summer. 
I don't use jackets so often in the summer, therefor I need to have tote-bags to carry things. I like them because, I can wash them and if I don't need them I can put it in my pants pocket.  By the way I make many tote-bags from left-over fabrics.  I don't thow out my fabrics !


Lacy Silk spider web like Scarf from "NUNO"

Coarse Cotton Lace Scarf from "NUNO"

Silk Polka-Dot with White Thin Trim is an Antique Scarf.
I made the other scarf from left-over Printed Silk from Italy. 

Huge Cotton Check Scarf with Gold Metallic Borders is from Paris.

Collection of my Summer Tote-Bags.


Finally the Foot Wear, I have to show you my Summer Shoes & Socks.
They are all from different places, some are from Europe, some are from Japan.
As you may agree, this country is not a great place for great socks or shoes. 
Something about Leather Goods in Europe are so much better than the ones we can find in here. Every time I went to Europe I ended up coming back with one more pair of shoes.  And every time I visited Japan, I could find more than a few new pairs of socks and scarves in my luggage.
These are the Foot Wear Selections for this summer....


I do have more of Black Socks, but these are my favorites!

2 pairs are from Italy, 2 pairs are from France.
2 Flip-Flaps are from Japan.

Believe it or not, some of pairs are more than 10 years old.
I guess there is a good side to having many shoes in your closet. You are not walking with same shoe all the time therefore it will not wear out easily. They will stay in your closet for long time. And if you can remember how much you paid for a pair, you will not wear it too roughly. 
The Flip-flops I've gotten from NUNO are made from their original fabric. Even if I try to wear them carefully , they will wear out by end of the summer. I use at least 2 pairs each summer.
Sadly "NUNO" can no longer produce these Flip-Flops in BURMA. 
I have only a few pairs left for summers to come..... 
I'm not showing solid black footwear.  Even though I do have many solid black shoes in the boxes behind the shoe-luck in the closet. I guess I don't use them too much in this summer. 
It looks, my "Summer Black" stops just above my ankles.....

No comments:

Post a Comment