Sunday, November 6, 2011

"Edwardian on Duboce"

This is the entrance stairs to B & K's Edwardian House.

When B & K decided to move out of their old home in "Haight-Ashbury" we are sort of disappointed.  Because, we loved their Antique-filled Golden Floor.  
It was so close to Golden Gate Park and many leftover stores from hippy era we could wailk into were near by.  But they told us that it was time them to start looking for the house. They wanted to find a Victorian House.  But they didn't see anything that spoke to them.  Then they came across this Edwardian House on Duboce Avenue in Mission.  B & K  belong to the SF Historical Study Group, therefore they researched the history of this house.  The house was build by judge in the fashionable Edwardian Style of the time.
They kept saying to us that it is in a transitional neighborhood, but it will change into a trendy area very soon. They said that the evidence is in the air.....
Sure enough, it did become that.  At our first few visits we have to drive to other area to have great dinners, but within few more years we no longer needed to get in the car.  We can walk a few blocks, then we started to see great looking restaurants within 5 minutes walk.  Now we have choice of which cusine we wanted to have and which one is better ?
I still remember like a 15 years ago, they said  "We discovered a fantastic Vietnamese Restaurant.  We have to take you there for Summer Rolls."  It was on Valencia Street where we could get to it by walking.  Yes, we had to wait for a while, but we got a table before we finished studying the menu.  As I selected wine to start,  I looked up and realized that Door of the Restaurant was slanted. That was our first time dining at "Slanted Door"  Very famous & most popular SF's best known Restaurant.  Of course they moved out of  the neighborhood, but the space is still there with its famous characteristic doorframe..... 
But B&K's House has not changed too much since they moved in, at least from the out side, it has gotten a few paint jobs since the begining.  It has & always will have some GOLD on exterior of the house.  Gold is always B's signature color. And the house is filled with many things Golden, Wall Papers to Drapes, Furniture to Lighting Fixtures, Dishes to Eating Utensils in the dinning table.
They travel a lot, especially is South East Asia in the Last 5 years.  
Before that mainly to Europe.  So they have collected lots of treasures from every destination. But their main focus still remains  Antique Furnitures & Table Wear, Depression Glass Dishes.
I still remember how long it took for them to find the original Water Tank  & Toilet for Second floor "Water Closet."  Yes, the second floor Bathroom and Water Closet are separated.  The bathroom has their greatist find, a Brass Hospital Shower Unit. That is my favorite Showers in the world. 
We have given nicknames for each room on Second Floor.
One of them is the room for us to stay when we are SF.  
Third Floor is Master Bedroom Suite, nothing else, but that.  Oh it comes with a balcony,  "Robusto" their beloved cat guards the top floor.
First floor is all about GOLD,  Both the Parlor and Dining Room are filled with Gold, Wall & Ceiling paper. They've got Gold Furnitures and lots of Antique Chairs which they collected for many years.  
I have shown you their Dinning Room and Kitchen in the Previous Blog Post.  
And Depression Glass plates, I have no idea how many of those they've collected. They are every where in Kitchen & Dinning Room.  Every cabinet you open in those rooms will reveal more. 
I think I need to organize them some day so that next time when I cook in SF I know what kind of table setting I can use for meals. I don't like to cook in other people's kitchens, but their kitchen is exceptional.  I feel like making a meal on a Stage Set of some sorts....


THIRD FLOOR
"Boudoir"


SECOND FLOOR
"Media Room"

"The Pink Room ( Guest room #1)"

"K's Office"

"The Turkish Room "

"The Perfect Room (Guest Room #2)"

"Bath Room"
This is my favorite Shower Stall in the world.
The bottom loop release needle-like spray of water at the body.


PARLOR FLOOR
"Kitchen"


"Dinning Room"

"Golden  Parlor"

There are more pictures of rooms and furniture and table ware I took during our stay at Duboce Avenue.
But I just didn't want to post photo after photo of each room.  
I focused on Lighting Fixtures & Antique Telephones.  Each Room on the Second Floor, the Parlor and Kitchen has Antique Telephones.  They have been converted to Land line.  We can make phone calls from any of those.
B & K have extensive collection of things all over the house, but I decided to not include everything I found in the house for this post.  
After all this was not our last visit to SF, therefore I must leave something to blog about for the next stay at Duboce Avenue.
I took many pictures of sights I adore in the house.  Strictly what pleases my eyes. So here are some pictures I had to include in this page.


Things that intrigue me

Epitome of Elegance to me.


3 comments:

  1. Water Storage Tanks
    Our Water Storage Tanks is unbreakable, Flexible and light in weight and all type of Tanks Supplier, Wholesalers, exporters & manufacturers in India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed this post! I am in the middle of renovating and decorating a summery Victorian cottage on the east coast. A kind reader sent me the link to your blog.

    ReplyDelete