Friday, January 10, 2014

"Osechi 2014"



It  has been more than a week since I had my New Year's Day Brunch party.
Every New Year's Day I make "Osechi & Zoni'' traditional Japanese New Year's Day's Food.  I was not so crazy about this food when I was  little, but as I'm getting older my desire to have this tradition is getting stronger and stronger.
I started to cook this food while ago.  And I invite a few friends over to cerebrate New Years with food and "Otoso (Sake)"   I used to make everything all by myself.  But now I ask friends to do some cooking, and started to buy some commercial made ones.  Such as Kamaboko and Datemaki.  One thing I have to do is not to forget to serve things in my fridge.  It has happen almost every year.
I usually get dinner invitations for the evening, so my brunch-party had to finish early.  This became my tradition as well.
Around 11AM my guests were arriving.  I had to finish slicing and plating very quickly.

"The Table Setting"
My party always has vegetables and pretty hors d'oeuvres on the table.

"Karasumi" (Botarga / cured fish eggs)
Japanese delicacy a friend brought back from Japan.

"Tashi Yasume" (Palette Cleanser)
Persan Cucumber  quick picked with Yuzu & Shiso.

"Seto Jubako" (Porcelain Stackable Boxes) 
I use this Antique Japanese Server only for New Year's Day.

"Ume-Gobo, Kuromame, Kuri-Kinton, Kohhaku-Namasu"
Burdock Roots stewed with Pickled Plum, Stewed Black Beans, 
Japanese Sweet Potato mushed with Chestnuts,
 Julienned Daikon Radish & Carrots Sweet Vineglette.

"Takiawase"
Individually stewed vegetables served on a Large Imari Plate.
Again I use this antique Plate only for special occasions.

"Tsukudani, Kobumaki, Ebi-Amani, Datemaki, Kamaboko"
Variety of commercially made Japanese Seafood Delicacies.


No comments:

Post a Comment