Sunday, January 9, 2011

Transitional Meal for 2nd Weekend of The New Year.




The Tree in Rockefeller Center is gone.
"Oshogatsu Kibun (means fulfilling New Year Celebration)" is over, getting back to normalcy.
So is our eating routine, the sad thing is that there are not many things we can find at Union Square Farmers' Market until Spring. You will see mainly Root Vegetables, such as Potatoes, Onions, Carrots, Leeks and Celeriac.
Sounds like you are ready to make some kind of SOUP.  
But, there is "Sun-Choke". Some people call it "Jerusalem Artichoke".  I like to call it "Sun-Choke" it sounds happier. Besides, we all need Sun in the middle of Cold Winter, don't we ?  So Let's give some of it for the stomach as well. They are Root Vegetable. 
They have not too appetizing appearance, but I love them a lot.
People eat them with skins on, lightly sautéed with butter or olive oil. But I prefer peeling them. Then slice thin to use for salad. 
Tastes like Water-Chestnut, but sweeter and crunchier.
You can find them at the Market from Fall to Spring.


"Ingredents" for Lunch.


for "Sun-Choke"
Finely Chopped Italian-Parsley, Walnuts, Garlic, and Zest of Orange, 
Mix with Olive-Oil & Sea-Salt.


"Orange Gremolatta Sun-Choke"

Since we haven't seen some of our friends since Christmas, I decided to invited them for Saturday Lunch to say "Happy New Year". Even though they are Japanese friends in New York , they will be ready to say "Until Next Year" to "Osechi and Mochi" by the second weekend in January. It's almost time for Steaks or Meatloaf. But we need to have something else for the Saturday Brunch, something between.
Eating Habits need transition as well.  So my lunch menu was some Japanese-Flavors and Western-Flavors.  In Winter time I tend to use Orange and Lemon, specially Myer-Lemon for accent flavors. It brings a little sprinkle of Spring to our foods in Winter. Besides you will be eating similar things in these cold days, for that we need to have some excitement for our taste buds.
When you use Zest of those citrus, flavors will be more saturated.
My menu was included "Sun-Choke with Orange Gremolatta". I found this recipe in the New York Magazine some time ago, I think this is "Mario Batali's Recipe". But his recipe is only a guide line, I put more Zest and I even use Orange Juice in it. He keeps the skin on, I peel them off. Simply because it looks cleaner and more appetizing to me.
I also made "Farro Salad" with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, and Sauteed Crimini-Mushroom, Shallot and Garlic. I have made this salad since I visited "Lucca Italy" with Jonathan quite some time ago. In that part of Italy(Toscany), they make things with "Farro (Italian Grain)". Nowadays you can even find Dry Pastas made of "Farro".  
You probably know by now, I love Watermelon Radishes. They are also Root Vegetable which you can find at the Market during Winter. So I have to make some salad with them. It will look pretty and tastes good with Miso & Sesame Dressing...
For the Protein I made Shrimp with Parsley and Shallot Viniagarette with Meyer-Lemon Zest, again.
So. here's how those dishes came out...


"Tofu Canape"
Pressed Tofu with Edamame-Miso Topping.

"Chips & Dip"  My Way of Party Starters.
Greek Yogurt & Pickled Mini Red Pepper Dip.

"Farro Salad" flavored with Olive-Oil & Balsamic-Vineger.
Cooked Farro with Roasted Grape-Tomato & Sauteed Shallots & 
Mushroom & Garlic.

"Shrimp Viniagrette"
This year's choice of Protein.

"Julienned Salad"
Watermelon-Radish and Snow-Peas are Julienned, add "Sunflower Shoots"
with Miso-Goma Dressing.

 
"Ready to Eat"

No comments:

Post a Comment