Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Things I Love in the Spring


This is the box for "Lily of the Valley Scented Candle by Penhaligon's"

Guess what, I found "Lilies of Valley" my favorite flowers of the spring this past weekend at the Union Square Farmers' Market. I had to buy them for my home. 
Even when we were having Coffee and Whole Wheat Croissants in the cafe, the other guests could smell the flowers as well. 
Now my home is filled with this fabulous perfume from those tiny white flowers. 
I must say this fragrance definitely brings on a good mood.
I used get "Lily of Valley Perfume" from "Penhaligon's" for my mother when I was visiting Japan. She also loved this fragrance in other products by "Penhaligon's" such as Candles & Soaps. 
When I travel, I carry a small candle of "Lily of the Valley by Penhaligon's"  just in case if hotel room has an unpleasant smell.
"Penhaligon's" used to have a small boutique on Upper Madison Avenue, but I think that shop is closed now. 
So I have to go to Saks to find their products, unless I go visit London.
In my opinion, "Penhaligon's" makes best products with this fragrance.
You should try to smell other Perfumes and Candles as well. 
And I must comment about their Packaging, specially the Bottle design. They are simple and elegant !





In the Union Square Farmers' Market, I also found the season's first Japanese Turnips and Japanese Cucumbers and Shiso Leaves.
If you read my old blog last Fall, I wrote about a simple salad (you may want call it a quick pickle) made with those three ingredients and homemade Shiso Flower Sea Salt & Kabosu. It is very simple to make.  And I live on this salad through Spring & Summer, until "Watermelon Radish" to come back to the market in the Late Summer.
As you noticed by now, I don't mention that vegetable any more. Because their season is over. You can't find that colorful vegetables at the market for now.




My must-get Spring Summer Vegetable is "Japanese Radish" along with Shiso.
You may not have tasted the green parts of these Japanese Radishes.
But you should try them, they are surprisingly delicious !
Sometimes I saute them with garlic and soy sauce, finish with drop of Sesame Oil. 
That dish was one of my father's favorite side dishes for dinner.
This weekend, I decided to make a simple soup with these very green fresh leaves. 
I didn't use any stock as a base. It was just Scallions and Garlic and Greens from Japanese Radishes including stems, and Water.
It came out great, It is good even as a Cold Soup.
And, I also made Shiso Tisane. This is very soothing Tisane, Hot or Cold ! 
I think I'm even ready for a Hot Summer Days to come.




This is Shiso Tisane with Candied Yuzu Zests.

If I could get fresh Yuzu in New York, I would make them myself, but I can't.
So I have to get them in Rockefeller Center, at "Minamoto Kiccho An" 
That is a Japanese Sweet Shop where you can find Traditional Japanese Sweets.
They are nothing like American Sweets, I don't know what else I can say about.
Don't expect to find your basic ingredients like Butter and Cream in them, Japanese have a very different vocabulary of sweets.
You just have to try to go there to even just see what they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment