Monday, August 15, 2011

"CORN, THREE WAYS"

This is how I see SUMMER at the Market.

This is how I keep them on the table for only a few days.
Never keep them in the fridge.

What vegetable comes to your mind when someone asks you "What is your favorite summer vegetable?"  My answer will be "Corn".
For the last few weekends, Sweet Corn is getting so sweet.  Along with Apricots, Peaches and Tomotoes.  Those things makes me excited to cook. 
In the Summer, I try to avoid Stove Top Cooking, definitely not Oven Cooking. 
But for Corn, sometimes I have to use a grill pan.
Mainly I use microwave to cook the corn, reserve few outer husks to cover corn after taking all the silk away, then re-wrap and tie them with left-over husks before I put them in the microwave.  You will know when it's done by the smell. It will take 10~15 minutes. But, it's all up to how big they are and how many of them you are cooking at once.
"Cafe Havana" in Nolita in New York, serves "Cuban Style Corn" year around. 
I ocasonally go there for Lunch because of that corn. Dinner time is too busy and the crowd is too young for me.
So, this summer I started to make their corn by myself. 
You may make a face if I tell you how I make Cuban Style Corn.
But I can tell you, my corn is getting very close to that taste.
I cover cooked corn with "Veganaise(Non Fat Mayonnaise)" then "Manchego Cheese' then sprinkle "Shichimi Tokarashi"(Japanese Chill Powder), then serve with wedges of Lime.
It is sweet and spicy and very cheesy, you will not taste Veganaise at all. 
Once you try this way I think you will have this way more than few times....


A squeeze of Lime is essencial.

My second way of enjoying Summer Corn is with "Peaces and Almond and Mint"
There was restaurant call "Inside" in the West Village, we use to go almost every weekend for Brunch. Chef/Owner Charlene Badman made this salad to serve with her delicious CrabCakes and sauteed Soft Shell Crab. I loved that salad so much, I always wanted to have that with everything they served all weekend. Since that restaurant closed, I've been trying to make that salad.
I think this summer my recipe got close enough to serve for company. 
Again this one is so easy to make, to take kernels off the cob is the most difficult part of this recipe.  Mixed with Diced Peaches, Julienned Mint Leaves, and right before serving, add fresh roasted almonds. Dress the salad with Lime Juce. 
That is it.  Try it, tastes just like Summer !


Mint leaves makes this salad !

Last one is the simpest one.
Grilled Corn (yes for this recipe I grill corn) and Basil and Balsamic Reduction.
Again, it takes a little care to take the kernels off the cob.
While you are grilling the corn, you make a reduction of balsamic vinegar, it takes 2~5 minutes in a small sauce pan on the low heat.  You have to wait for it to cool. Then it will get very syrupy.  
Mix grilled corn with julienned basil, sometimes I add cooked Edamame for tooth. Before you serve this salad, you drizzle cooled reduction. 


Flavor from grilling adds unique taste.
  
I make a simple Cherry Tomato Salad to accompany the corn dishes. 
When tomatoes are very sweet, you just need to splash some Balsamic Vinegar on top with Basil, you don't even need to add Olive Oil. 
Sometimes I get a whole wheat baguettes, that will be it for a Summer Supper.  
I slice up Apricots, and spread Ricotta Cheese on the sliced Lightly Toasted Baguette.  If I still have balsamic vinegar reduction left, I'll drop it on the toasts. 
Having fruit before the dessert is a very good thing !  I do feel like an Italian.....



No comments:

Post a Comment