Monday, September 26, 2011

"Pickled Pink"


You will never know what some vegetables look like by looking at outside.
You can make many different patterns by how you slice them.
Your artistic sense will show up with those pretty Veggies.

One of my friends is having a Japanese Pickle Party. Guests are welcomed to bring their own Pickles for the event.
As I always do Saturday morning, I was at the Farmers' Market looking for some vegetables to make my original pickle for the party. 
I found "Baby French Breakfast Radishes" at "Paffenroth Farm". 
I can always count on "Paffenroth Farm" to bring me some great Veggies for Pickles and other things.
I also got "Watermelon Radishes" and "Chiogga Beets".   
Yes,"Watemelon Radish" is back at the Market. This was the third time I've got them for Salad in this month.  
Without cutting open, you have no idea how pretty this vegetable is.
During the Summer weeks I started having "Chiogga Beets" raw in the salad. 
This vegetable is also very pretty inside, but again you will never know from the outside. Pink & White stripes or circles will show up by how you cut them.
But their prettiness will disappear soon as you cook them.
The thing is that all those vegetable will lose colors.  It all depends how long you cook them and how much water you add to those vegetables.
So, my theme for today is "Pink Pickles".  Hoping to see Pink~Red pickles from jars at the party.  
Naturally colored "Pretty Pink Pickles" will be different from the other ones...




"French Breakfast Radishes" can be very spicy.  But since they are very tiny, they can't be too spicy.  I though they could be the perfect ones for pickling. 
I soaked "French Breakfast radish" in Bowl with Water to clean. Sometimes, it is the best way to clean vegetables, specially small ones and Root-Vegetables. 
I made brine with Rice Vinegar, Apple Cider Vinegar, and some Sugar and "Umeboshi(salt pickled plum)" instead of plain salt.
"Beet & Watermelon Radish" were quickly blanched before pickling.  
The brine for them was with Rice Vineger, Mirin, Sake, and pinch of Salt and clashed Garlic for a kick.  And I added Ginger for more Japanese flavor....




Since I blanched Radishes and Beets for only a few minutes, 
some of colors and stripes are still visible. 
This is an unexpected result for Pink Pickles. 
It is a happy surprise !

No comments:

Post a Comment