Thursday, June 23, 2011

"Mermaid Parade" at Coney Island.



Every Summer I wanted to go to Coney Island to see the "Mermaid Parade", but for some reason I never made it. I was at Coney Island only once all this time.....
Last Sunday I finally made it to the "Mermaid Parade". 
When you have a plan to do things with friends, you would act on that plan !
It was easier to get there than I thought. That was my very first trip to Coney Island by train. 
If you get on the F-train, it will take you to Coney Island in about 45 minutes. 
The F-train's last stop from Manhattan is Coney Island. I transferred to F-train at "West 4th Street Station" with friends who I met in Chelsea. 
We knew that was the right train to take, because we found a girl in costume. 
Not quite a Mermaid, but she had Tiara on her head, and Mermaid-Skirt, and heavy make-up.
When we got off the train at the last stop, we just followed people who were rushing to get out of the train station. Excitement was in the air !
It was little past 2pm, the parade started at 2. 
The Streets were packed with people.
Policemen were doing their best to keep people out from "Surf Avenue". We were supposed to meeting with other friends behind "Nathan's".  The famous place to have "Hot-Dogs". This is the place where "Hot Dog Eating Contests" are held on every July the 4th.  
Even though we had Lunch before we left Chelsea, I felt I was ready for "Hot-Dogs", but I had to find other friends and find a spot to see the Parade first !





The Moment we found friends on a very crowded side street, I started to taking pictures of the Parade. There were Little Mermaids, Many shapes of Mermaids, Mermen, Sea-Creatures, and Sailors. And I also found many costumes which had nothing to do with Mermaids or the Sea. 
After all, everybody was there to enjoy watching the parade or being in it.....
I took many pictures of the people in the Parade. I hope these pictures make you think to go there next Summer.  And I'll be posting "Part 2" in a few days.




My Little Mermaids.

A boy with Skills & Charm.

Sailer got my favorite Seafood.

Love your Umbrella & Pants.

"Sea Horses" & "Jelly Fish"

Sea Creature or she just loves her Pink Feathers ?

Where is your Costume ?

Who cares about Costumes when you are having good time !

Mermaids from "NABI" ?

Watermelon Mohawk !


There was a group of people who were wearing Sailer's Costumes. 
And they were dancing, not  just walking. 
I think I saw them at "Easter Parade" as well.
I believe they are semi professional  "Antique Clothing Wearing Dancers". 
They will show up when they find out if a Parade is going to happen somewhere in New York.  Am I seeing them next weekend at "Governor's Island" with Another Antique Dress ?





 
The Parade was ended with Antique Cars,
A girl on rollerskates was passing by so much faster than the Cars.
Even though she was wearing Sequined Dress !

AFTER THE PARADE

These were the pope who I had to get up close to take a pictures of them.
They are truly having FUN at the Beach.












Look into his Sunglasses !

No comments:

Post a Comment