Saturday, June 18, 2011

Time to start Grilling !




Even though Last weekend was a cool weekend, the Farmers' Market is getting more and more new kinds of vegetables each week. 
We are enjoying the Season's New Arrivals. 
I got Baby Carrots, New Red Onions, and Purple Leaf Vegetables such as Purple Lettuce and Lola Rosa.
Baby Carrots at "Paffenroth Farm" were so tender and sweet. But I wanted to grill them along with New Red Onions. If you grill vegetables, they get sweeter.  And grill-marks make them even more appetizing for the Summer.
If you don't have a garden or terrace to grill like I do, the whole apartment will get smoky from the kitchen. If you keep windows and front door open, air circulates and that makes the smoke situation a little better. Even if you have to go through some trouble, it is very much worth it to cook vegetables this way.
Once you've tasted "Grilled Vegetables" as you all have, you will want to have vegetables this way more than stir-fried.  Grill them once, you will find out how easy to do it !
Carrots were so clean, I didn't have to peel skins and kept some stalks as well. 
I also kept green stalks on the Red Onions as well. 
They got handy when I needed to turned them on grill-pans.
I crushed Garlic and chopped Thyme to add to a small bowl of olive-oil. Vegetables were brushed with this flavored olive-oil before they hit the grill-pan. 
I have 2 grill-pans, so that I can grill many vegetables at once. Even though that did make the smoke situation double. 
Do not put too much olive-oil on vegetables. olive-oil will burn easier than Vegetable. Yes, too much oil makes more smoke !!  
I had Red Peppers and Baby Zucchinis in my fridge. With them I could make a "Big Grilled Vegetable Platter" for the weekend dinner.
In the middle of the Hot Summer, this platter will show up quite often at my table. 
With Colorful Bowl of Salad and maybe with some kind of Cold Soup to start with, that will be my ideal Summer Supper.


"Purple Salad"
Dinner started with simple salad.
Mint Tisane was the perfect drink for that night.

 "Grilled Vegetable Plate"
The whole dinner was to enjoy those vegetables with char-marks.
All they needed was a sprinkle of sea-salt.

 
  "Pork Tenderloin" was my choice of Protein for this dinner. 
Quickly Pan Seared then finished in the oven for 10 minutes or so.
"Sunny Paris(from Penzeys Spices)" was the seasoning for this easy dish.


By the way "Penzeys Spices" is a fantastic spice company.
When we visited Jonathan's Cousin in DC, he and his wife (who I adore) introduced us to their New favorite Shop in the neighborhood. In that shop another customer told us to try their original mixed spice called "Sunny Paris". She said that she uses it for everything from Meat to Fish. Later we tried it on Chicken, that was fantastic. 
Last year we found that "Penzeys Spices" has a shop in Grand Central Station's Food Court. So we have been getting the Biggest Bottle of "Sunny Paris" every other month or so. It is a staple in my kitchen. 
How come anything that says "Paris" is always Good ?

No comments:

Post a Comment