Friday, June 3, 2011

"Tastes of the Summer"




"Memorial Day" the unofficial start of Summer was here.
We are having almost July like days since this past Holiday Weekend.
Since we had such a long Winter, everybody is sucking up the Sun and Heat.
I don't know how long we will be enjoying these Hot & Steamy Days. But it is so nice to go out without taking a Jacket and wearing sneakers without socks.
At the Saturday's Farmers' Market, we did see more new vegetables. 
Now we can have choices of greens for Salads. Arugula was the only choice before. Not just Red Radishes any more, now I can get Pink Radishes and Breakfast Radishes.
Did you know, Pink Radishes taste milder than Red Radishes?
If you quickly sauté them with vegetable oil they get sweeter. 
If you use some Butter to sauté them, of course they get even better.




Quickly blanched Sugar Snap Peas with match-stick Radishes.
Flavoring was only drops of Sesame-Oil, Sesame-Seeds, and Sea-Salt.


At the Saturday Market I saw "Sugar Snap Peas" for the first time at "Migliorelli". 
They will be at the market at least for a Month. I enjoy picking from Wooden Basket and thinking about how I enjoy these fantastic Peas. 
You can eat raw, you will taste the sweetness of "Sugar Snap Peas".
You know how to eat them don't you ? 
This maybe the easiest Pea to prepare for your table.
I try not to do too much to these wonderfully sweet Peas.   
Japanese Radishes are getting bigger and bigger every weekend. 
I'm still waiting for "Persian Cucumbers" to show up at the market, but that is still a month away. Until then I just have to get them at the Supermarket.
That was a Very Hot Weekend, it could be a weekend in the Mid-Summer.
I wanted to have something "Simple and Cold" for meals.
So, these are dishes I made Last Saturday Evening along with Sugar Snap Peas.


"Soba Noodle Salad" with "Walnut & Miso Dressing"
 "Japanese Turnips"
White Parts are reserved for something else for later.
Only Leaves & Stems were chopped.
Lightly sautéed with Garlic & Hichimi(Japanese Chili)
Served with Quick Pickled Breakfasts-Radishes.  


What kind of drink do I want to have for Light Summer Supper ?  
Of course with "Mint Tisane" !
That Saturday morning I also found "Spearmint", not just only "Peppermint" any more. My favorite "Mint Tisane" is made from combinations of those two kinds of mint leaves. I'll keep those 2 Mints all summer long. They are always at my window sill waiting for me to pick. Sometimes I get "Apple Mint" as well. "Spearmint" and "Apple Mint" are just for Tisane for now. But, I would like to find some recipes for those Mints for the Summer.
I pay attention to my Mints. I'll take off leaves from lower stems of Mints, before I put them into the Water. Some of them will get Roots in few days. 
You can keep them for a long time if they get roots.
Keep them in a place where they will get Morning Sun. Change the Water every 2~3 days. If you do so, they will be fresh for a week for sure !



This is how I keep my Mints and other Herbs.
This week I had "Shiso" with them.
I use Shiso Leaves for Salads & Tisane. 

This was the very last of "Lily of Valley" at the Farmers' Market last Saturday.
I had to get them back to home. 
I have a feeling, that was the last weekend to see them at Farmer's Booth. 
They gave me the Fragrance for almost a week. I already miss them until next Spring !  Unless I burn the "Penhaligon's Lilly of the Vally Candle"
Since this Blog-Post is titled "Tastes of Summer"
I must tell you, "Lily of Vally" is poisonous. You should not carry back home together with Fruits & Vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment