Sunday, December 16, 2012

"A Nice Pear"



The Farmers' Market at Union Square is almost at the end of harvest season. What we can find there on Saturday Morning will be very sparse.  Apples and Pears will be there till Spring's return, also Carrots, Potatoes, and Turnips.  
But, the selection is nothing like we had a few weeks ago.
I still go there every Saturday, just because I like to get vegetables & fruits  from farmers rather than at supermarkets.  I developed friendships with famers & people who works at the stands.  Without saying "Good Morning!" to them my weekend will not start.  Even if I can get only a few things there.
My choice for deserts at home is always Fresh Fruits over Cookies or Ice Cream. But, in the winter months I don't have much choice, so I cook Apples and Pears. Poached Pears are particularly great for Holiday times....


"Transformation of  the Pear"




I prefer poaching Pears in Red Grape Juice.  In this case I used a fresh Red Grape juice from " Buzzard Crest Vineyard" from upstate New York.  I added a few Lemon Wedges and a Cinnamon Stick, and Agave Nector.  It is so easy to do. The hardest part is taking cores from fruits.  Just make sure to have poaching liquid ready in the pan before you start peeling the skin of Pears.  Soon as you finish preparing Pears, you have to drop them in, so that flesh doesn't start changing color.  By the way try to keep stems on them.  Stems will be very helpful when you pick them out of the pot when they're cooked.  Also they will be great for the presentation.
I like Pears to still have tooth.  Not too soft.  
Don't worry,even if the colors of the fruit are not deep when you finish cooking. When you are keeping them in the poaching liquid over night in the fridge, they will continue to take color from that.  When you ready to have them following days they will be in wonderful deep burgundy.  Slice then in half, serve them with Sweetened Greek Yogurt.   

  Red & White, doesn't this plate look perfect for the Holidays ?


No comments:

Post a Comment