Monday, November 15, 2010

"Au Revoir, Eileen"



Saturday was the last time to see Eileen from "Buzzard Crest Vineyards"of upstate New York.
We had been seeing her at the Farmer's Market in Union Square since September.
They are growing organic grapes for more than 30 years. Every week they brought us seedless and seeded varieties from north in the Finger Lakes. Some were Green, others were Deep-Red. 200-miles trip to NYC gives them one of the longest drives of any farmer at city markets.



They had been bringing those delicious Grapes to us for almost 3 months.  They also make Wines and Grape-Juice. Thanks to the warm weather we had this year, we did enjoy those grapes a little longer. Believe it or not, their grapes stay plump almost week on the table. They are my choice of fruit for past 3 months.
Sadly, it was time to said "Good Bye" to them until next Fall.



As I blogged before, we had been buying them since Labor Day. The last few weekends I bought more than I could eat for the week. Yes, I've started to freeze them. Some of them are ready to try as Cold Sweet & Sour Little Ball Candies.
Sometimes its better to keep them on the kitchen counter for few days before starting to freeze them. If you do, it will make Grapes even sweeter. 
I have to tell you again, you must wash them well and dry them completely before you put them into the freezer. One of  Eileen's stand helpers told me that you can soak the Grapes in "Concord Wine (sweet wine)" before you start freezing them.  I did not try that method yet. 
If somebody is going to freeze them with that extra step, please let me know how they taste.
Some may say it is not great idea, but I drop one or two in the White Wine Grass when I want my wine to stay cold.  
You can surly put them in Yogurt as a desert. That will give you a surprise cold bite. 
In the Holiday Season, along side a Chocolate-Truffle you can serve them as well.
Sometimes it is great to have a cold sensation in your mouth when you are in the very warm home with your family ! 



No comments:

Post a Comment