Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Trees with Colors.


This is yet another scarf from "NUNO"
Now I know why I chose that scarf for that day.
There is always a reason for everything, isn't there ?


Over the weekend we met our friend Julie at the train station of her town, then we drove up to Hyde Park New York.
On the way to Hyde Park, the highway was surrounded by trees which changed colors from Bright Yellow to Dark Brown. Occasionally spotted with bright Red to almost Pink. 
Mother Nature has been very busy painting trees with many colors from her pallet...
In Japan, when you say "Foliage" it means all about "Red" especially in Kyoto. Those Japanese Maple Trees get so Red nothing but Red. I have to admit that they are stunningly beatiful to look at.
But some how I love the foliage of Up State New York. Seeing the variety of colors makes me so excited. Mountains are not covered in just one color, all sorts of colors all mixed in. Those colors do not blend into each other. Same color of trees cluster in one spot. Then next group of trees has completely different leaf colors. Just like mountains are painted by numbers. From far away, mountains were covered with mixture of colors. But when you see them up close you could see it was all about dots of colors. Mountains and Forests were all made of many colors of trees !
Some colors you could see there were beyond our imagination. How many different shades of yellows and browns have you seen in the crayola set ?
Believe me you will see so much more variation of those colors in the natural wonder ! 
I did not know those colors exist in Nature. You have no idea that leaves get so red or sometimes pink. I don't think I've ever seen trees get that shade of Pink before...
You still have time to see it,  I think this week maybe the peak for Foliage. If rain did not knock them off. It is too fantastic to miss !





When we arrived at FDR's home (beloved President Franklin Delano Roosevelt), we took a guided tour to see the house, which is frozen in 1945. They kept it the way he lived. 
It almost felt like we time-traveled into that era. Rooms on the first floor were very dark, and surprisingly very modest. I guess I was expecting to see more Velvet and Silk-Jacquard and Gold everywhere. In a way it is so nice to see a president such as FDR was living in such a modest way. 
His Wheel-Chair was a kitchen chair mounted on 2 big wheels and 2 small wheels behind them.  The only way for FDR to get to the 2nd floor was by elevator, which was only a modified Trunk-Elevator.  He had to pull the ropes to move it up and down by himself. We were told by the guide at the end of the tour that he used to say "I have skinny legs but look at my arms! " 
One thing I must say, the upstairs was bright. Especially his bedroom was so sunny and over looking Hudson Valley. And his closet was fantastic, many drawers and cleverly designed Clothes Racks and Hats Shelves. I wish I could have that walk-in closet in my home.
Later, the third floor was added for their 5 children along with both wings of the first floor. The tour did not include the third floor and servants' quarters, and sadly the kitchen.
Unfortunately we are not allow to take any pictures in the house, therefore I have nothing to show you what his house looks like inside. You have to go visit the house if you want to see what I am talking about. I think it is worth going up there to see the estate, especially in the Fall.
The Rose Garden was still blooming. Just like the roses were keeping company for Him and Eleanor and their beloved dog"Scotty". Do you know they all sleep in peace together in the Rose Garden ?




From the main street the formal entrance road approaches the house, where he repeatedly tried to walk with 2 canes. By this time, that was lined by beautiful yellow trees. Many geese were roaming peacefully... 
On the front lawn, many of big old trees were changing colors. I loved the grounds where the grass was still green and covered with fallen leaves. It was almost like round orange colored carpets spread under the yellow/orange trees. 
And finally, there was one Japanese Maple Tree standing alone near that Rose Garden. It was so Red almost like the ones in Kyoto. I had to have picture taken under that tree.
Guess what color scarf I was wearing ?




No comments:

Post a Comment