Sunday, November 21, 2010

"Osage Orange"




Do you know what is an "Osage Orange" ?
More than a few years ago when we were in some life-style shop in Paris we found a candle with "Osage Orange". That sounded very exotic. As I said,  this was quite some time ago.  I did not know what that fruit was and if I could find it in New York City.
When you research it in the Dictionary this is what they will say about this exotic sounding fruit.






They are Very Strange Fruit, you may find in the Fall at the Farmer's Market. 
"Hodgson Farms & Garden Center" brings them from Walden NY to the City along with Broccoli,Cauliflower, Eggplant, and Pumpkins.
You do not buy "Osage Orange" to eat.
I don't remember where it was or who told us that "Osage Orange" is good as a Cockroach repellant.
We have been placing under the kitchen sink and vanity for many winter seasons.
I don't know for sure if it is working or not, but we certainly did not see any Nasty Creepy-Crawlies in our home.




Now it is the time for us to get a few of them to hide where we don't have to see every day.
The fruit will get black sometime within the month. But, we are supposed to keep them until they get Brown to Black.  I think we can keep them at least a month or so. We get more than a  few to keep in home.
It has faint smell and sticky surface, but they are so much better than any chemicals you get for cockroach protection at drug store. "Osage Oranges" are light Green, so they go well with your X'mas decorations. Most of all they are Fruits, they won't cause any harm to you, as long as you keep them in a safe place for your four legged friends in your home.
They are cheap enough for you to try them under the sink at least once. Unless you don't mind seeing those Little Black Crawling Things in your home.
By the way, did you know cockroaches in Japan are much bigger and they Fly ?
So, now you know I'm not always telling you that Japanese things are always better.
One final thought, why do other languages have such cute names for Cockroaches ?
In Spain "Cucaracha", Yugoslavia "Bubaschawaba", and in Japan "Gokiburi".....

3 comments:

  1. I am learning so much reading this blogsite. Love it! By the way, I mean the tasty Asian influence of the meals at the Bright Food Shop. What a shame that diner is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The previous posting should have read "By the way, I miss the tasty influence..." I should never type comments until I've put on my glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your tree "play by play" commentary. gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete