Friday, November 12, 2010

Unseen Side of New York Marathon.


They were the First and Second Runners passing us.

Some of the Handicap Runners and others running togerther.


As you all know, we had New York Marathon through out the city last Sunday. 
For the first time I went to the Central Park to cheer Runners on at the 24 mile point. 
I met our friends behind the "MET'.
Central Park was completely closed for the event.  I had to enter the Park by following the 81st Street Cross Town Bus Route. When I go to the MET, that is the street the Bus will take. I've never seen people walking on that cross town street.  I did not even know that street has sidewalks.
Half way though the Park, I found steps to leave the street.  From there it was easy to get to the meeting point.  I was so surprised to see that many people were there to cheer Marathon runners on !
There were already Bicycle Runners inside the Park, trying to finish the Marathon Course. Within 20 minutes or so, we were told that First and Second Female Runners were approaching the Park.  Sure enough, there they were!  They run so fast, almost like the speed of me running 100 Meter Dash. What shape they were in !  They were incredible...
After a few more female runners, there came a few policemen on motorbikes.  Right after that the First and Second Male Runners came.  As you can see they were so fast it was almost like they just started to run.   After that, runners kept coming, one after the other. There were Cowbells and Cheer Sticks and Megaphones.  We kept screaming "You're Looking Good !!"  "Keep Going !!"




As the crowd of runners thickened, I noticed some of runners were in costume. 
I thought "Halloween" was over.  For some people, I guess, "Halloween" never ends.
We saw Minnie Mouse, a band-member of KISS, Spiderman, a Hot-Dog.  I even saw a Swan. Many runners were wearing the Wigs as well. 
I thought that Marathon is Serious Business.
In New York, you can always find some dedicated crazy people who are up for anything. That's why I love this City.
Seeing those Runners in Costume made me think how many Famous Marathons in the world would have costumed runners we had in New York ?  
New York is a such a Special City isn't it ?





One of my friends in Japan is serious about doing the New York Marathon next year.
If he gets permission to run I'll have to go back to the Park next year.  Maybe I have to make some more stops along the Marathon course before the Central Park, so that I can catch him at several points of his run.
On the way to the Park last Sunday, I met a few family members of the Runners who were doing exactly that. For that I have to thank the New York Subway System.  Did you know if you run the Marathon you can ride the Subway for free ?   I never knew that. 
But I won't run the New York Marathon just for a free ride.
The friends I met in the park were saying if my friend comes from Japan for that, we have to throw a party for him.  So shall I start making plans ?
I have to ask my friend in Japan, how soon he will learn if he will come or not, and what he is going to wear for that day ?  The colors of his running gear is very important for us to spot him in the crowd.  And also I have to coordinate the party theme with it, don't I ?


After crossing Finish-Line they met each other, and picked up their belongings.
And get those Fantastic Wind-Breaker to keep warm !
"Poncho" is the Fashion Choice in the Park !!

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I'm the runner dressed as Spidey! Did you make the picture? Very nice! I was going back to my wife and my son at twenty-fourth mile.

    ReplyDelete