Friday, December 23, 2011

"A Break Between Holiday Dinners"




What are you going to have between Big Holiday Dinners ?
I do prefer to have meals with just vegetable.  I'm not vegetarian, therefore I don't dare to say I know how to cook vegetarian dishes.  I do use Chicken Broth, and occasionally butter as well.  Although I'm trying to keep Butter, Eggs and Whole Milk out from my fridge.  And I committed not to have Processed White Stuff such as White Rice, White Pasta, White Flour, and White Sugar in my kitchen.  
I am Japanese, so it was very difficult for me to stop eating White Rice at home, but I stared to enjoy brown rice.  It is so much better for you.  When I go to a Japanese restaurant I'll have White Rice no matter what.  
"No Sugar No Butter" is easy, compared to "No White Rice & White Pasta." 
Back to "What to Eat Between Holidays",  I do like no-meat, no-fish meals.
In winter months, the Farmers' Market offers so few selections of produce.  Fuji Apples & Purple Majesty Potatoes are always there.  For that I must go there, and I can't forget to buy Watermelon Radishes.  They are getting easier to find in the market, but still can't find them in super markets. 
When I see Daikon or Kabocha Squash I always get them as well.  Have you tried them before ?  You probably know what is a daikon is.  But you may not know what "Kabocha Squash" is.  For me "Kabocha" is more pumpkin, not squash.  
It looks kind of ugly outside, but it has very sweet yellow flesh.  Be careful when you cut it, just like regular pumpkin.  Use a sharp knife and watch your fingers....
Veggies like them make me feel very full, even if there's no protein on the table.  
During the Holiday Season, big dinners always come with too much protein. 
So between those dinners, having Just Vegetable Meals are more than ok, at least for me!


Dinner always starts with Salad.
This one I call "Japanese Cole Slaw"
Julienned Carrots & Chiogga Beets mixed with 
Nappa Cabbage & Persian Cucumber.

Ginger, Garlic, Rice Vinegar, Grape Seed Oli and a touch of Soy. 
This mixture is the Dressing.
Can't forget few drops of Sesame Oil.
After tossing with the dressing, sprinkle with Sesame Seeds.

Cauliflower is Roasted in the oven for about 15 ~ 20 minutes.
They were coated with Olive Oil & Salt.
Sometimes I sprinkled with Paprika.

Kabocha is diced and sauteed about 5~ 10 minutes with Olive Oil & Garlic.
For this dinner, I mixed with Roasted Cauliflower.
Anticipating mixing with other vegetables later, I added extra Oil and Garlic.

Daikon is peeled and Poached in Water flavored with Kelp & Dried Shiitake.
Keep poaching till they get cooked through, it will take some time.
In the mean time I make Miso-Mirin-Ground Sesame Seed Sauce.
When Daikon is cooked, top with the Sauce and more Sesame Seed. 

Since my friends join for dinner , I added 1 extra dish.
Stir-fried  Egg Noodles with Bok Choy & Chicken Tenders. 
Adding the protein satisfied our friends' appetite.
I decided to add some meat for friends. 
Even though I could have made noodles with just veggies.


No comments:

Post a Comment