Sunday, December 25, 2011

"My Sweet Holiday Traditions"





Everybody must have things they desire for the Holidays.
In my case it is all about Sweets !  I have a few sweet treats I had to get for between Christmas and New Year's Day.  
In Japan, New Year's Day is the biggest holiday of a year.  And it is a Holidays that comes with special dishes just for the first three to seven days of New Year. Its called "Osechi" and does include sweets.
But my Eating Traditions for the Holidays developed since I started to live here in New York City.  
I do have "Turkey" for Thanksgiving which I had never tried until I came to this country.  I do have "Doughnuts" to celebrate Chanukah.  Maybe that's a very good excuse for me to have those deep fried goodies.  
I do get "Panettone" for Christmas. This Italian specialty is easy to find in this city, but most of them are not good at all.  As the matter of the fact I used to disliked this bread until a friend introduced me to the very best, the most authentic panettone in the city a while ago.  For the last ten years or so,  I have been buying it for Christmas.  They are avalable only for the Christmas time. 
I don't start to feel like Christmas until I get it.  Something about the aroma coming from this fantastic Italian Christmas Bread, makes me Happy and Merry...




Three days before Christmas I finally found time to go to "Sant Ambroeus" in the West Village to get "Panettone"  This Small Restaurant Bar sells Italian Deserts at the fromt of the place.  
I believe, they invite a special baker from Italy for a month to make "Panettone" for Christmas.  I was hoping to find them still in that location.  If they have already sold out of them, I must go to their main Restaurant Bar on Upper Madison to get one like I did last year.  Although once I get to the place, I enjoy being there because it is just like any big bar or cafe in any city in Northern Italy...  
Fortunately this year, I could find it on West Fourth Street.  When I was there to pick it up I tried hard not to look at the deserts selection.  I'm telling you it is a very dangerous place, if you like Italian sweets !
That was the first Name on my Pre-Christmas Sweet Shopping List to be crossed off on that evening.
Next stop was "Minamoto Kitchoan" in Rockefeller Center to get Japanese Sweets.  I had to get some Wagashi (Japanese sweets) with Kuri (Chestnut). Eventhouh I really don't like to go to that part of Manhattan at this time of the year.  The shop is almost opposite from where you will find the tree.  You can imagine who is walking around there.  I had to push through a crowd who do not know how to walk in the streets of Manhattan....
Then "Doughnut Plant" in the Chelsea Hotel to get particular kinds of Doughnuts. They make more than a few special flavors for the Holiday.  This retail shop in Chelsea opened early this Spring, therefore it's no longer necessary me to go to the Lower East Side for doughnuts.  
The final stop was "Amy's Bread" in "Chelsea Market".  They make a special Bread only for Holiday Season.  So I had to get that one as well.
On the morning of Cristmas Eve all of the names on the List were crossed.  Just in time for me to get ready for "Christmas Eve Dinner Party" at our friend's home. 


Shopping is completed !
The only thing left me to do is to decide what to start with?

"Doughnut Plant" makes many unique flavors for Yeast & Cake Doughnuts.
I've got "Marzipan" & "Holiday-Spices with Pear" glazed Yeast Doughnuts.
And tres delicious Tres Leches Cake Doughnut !
I made Hot Bitter Chocolate to have with them.

Japanese Sweets are based on Sweet Red Bean Paste.
During the last 7 days of the year I had to get some.  
And I prefer to get them with shapes or symbols of happiness.
And I love to have them with Chestnuts.  It is the flavor for Fall to Winter.
I'm enjoying them with "Lychee Flavored Hand-Knotted Tea"
In the middle of gift wrapping, it is nice to have tea break.
And made sure to save some for the New Years.
  
After completing my shopping tasks for the Holiday, 
I had to slice some "Chocolate Cherry Bread" on Christmas Eve Afternoon.
Accompanied by "Ronnybrook Farm's Eggnog"

Christmas Morning always starts with "Panettone" with Black Coffee.
Nothing's better than this breakfast on Christmas Morning!

After Gift Unwrapping  I had to close the drapes to take a nap.
All of the sugar I've been tasting was finally getting to me ! 



No comments:

Post a Comment