Saturday, December 3, 2011

"Thanksgiving Dinner"





It has been a week since the big dinner.  After I posted "Purple Vegetable Basket" some of my blog readers are asking me how was the dinner?  I guess I have to post another blog page to show you what I had on Thanksgiving Day.
This year I didn't forget to take pictures, like past years.  Somehow I knew I would need to have pictures of the Dinner.  
I kept my camera on the table during dinner hours, even if that was not good manners.  That was the only way I could remember to shoot.  Otherwise I would be focused on just tasting the foods on my plate.
I was told to come to their home before 2:45pm, I'd have at least 15 minutes to set up my veggies in the upstairs living room for the cocktail hour.   Many of the guests were friends of theirs who I have met before, but some of them were from out of the city.  We needed to have time for catch up before the dinner.  I was often called to explain what new vegetables I put in this year's "Crudite".  
By this time most of guests knew I never make a Vegetable Basket without Watermelon Radishes in it.  I converted most of them to "Watermelon Radish Lovers".   At 4: 30pm we were called to come down to dining room.  The formal dinner was just about to start.  The beautiful table setting included menus so that we know exactly what we are going to have that afternoon.  
They made and placed name cards as every year.  The only thing left us to do before the dinner was to find our name on the table.


Their home was ready for the Holiday.

Everybody is looking for their name on the table.
Some of them found their place card right away !

Each setting was completed with a Menu 
Chocolate Covered "Oreo Cookie"

This Turkey has a story to tell !
As you can see, the Hosts of Dinner are big Fans of Venice Italy.

This Chandelier is came from Venice.
It is the perfect home accessory for Holiday Season.


" Dinner is Served ! "

Dinner started with 
Caramelized Cauliflower Soup with Curry.

My Dinner Plate is filled with
 Prosciutto Bread Stuffing, Mushroom Bread Pudding, 
Tony's Roasted Root Vegetables, Fiori's Fabulous Brussel Sprouts,
Ellen's Green Beans, Barry's Sweet Potatoes with Maple Syrup& Chipotles,
Jeanne's Sauteed Kale with Garlic, Turnipotato Casserole.

The Dinner Plate was not completed till plate of Turkey was passed.
Our friend Jonathan D. braised turkey this year.
By doing so he cooked perfectly. 
Every slices of White Meat & Dark Meat were still moist.
I even not needed Jonathan's carefully made Gravy.
Finally Plate was completed with Scalloped Oysters.
Each year Jonathan brings something new to the table.


" Ready for Desert ? "

Dessert Dishes and Coffee Cups were positioned.
Ready for Desserts ?  Of course we were.....
There has always been more than a few desserts to enjoy.

All deserts are on the Buffet.

Svea's Lemon Angel Pie,  Robin's Pumpkin Pie,
Alexandra's Apple Cake,  Aunt Vivian's Pear Kuchen.

The Desert Plate is completed  with 
Honey Rosemary Ginger Gelato & Bittersweet Chocolate Mousse.
And somehow I ended up with 
2 Oreos covered with Dark & White Chocolate.


" Did we have enough ? "


 

I guess I must talk about Turkey.
Last year for the first time, one of our hosts, Jonathan D, didn't want to a roast whole turkey for Thanksgiving.  No matter how we cooked, turkey always comes out with some parts dry.  Therefore he wanted to cook turkey in pieces.  In that way, he can control time for each meat, we will enjoy every part of the bird.  
But for the tradition he wanted to have some form of Whole Turkey on the table.  For that, they asked Jonathan F to come up with some ideas for a "virtual" turkey.  After weeks of research Jonathan F found an Inflatable Turkey.  It came in a small tin case.  And it took a few minutes to make into a Well-Cooked Thanksgiving Centerpiece.  Of course, that turkey returned to the table this year.  And I'm sure, it will be back again next year.

Jonathan & John have hosted Thanksgiving Dinner for many years.  
This was their 44th Annual Thanksgiving Dinner.  Even though most of people were bringing some side dishes for the table, most of food was prepared by them. There is always too much food for one night.  But I guess that is the whole idea for Thanksgiving Dinner, isn't it ?
In some ways, I personally like left overs.  Ever since I started going to their home for Thanksgiving I don't have leftovers for days after the big day.  
But I went back to their home again 2 days later for "Turkey Tetrazini Dinner". That is one more tradition they have for Thanksgiving Weekend.  I have been part of their Thanksgiving Traditions for short times, but I felt like I've been part of it for many years.  Most of guests at the table must felt the same way.  Everybody was smiling for the entire dinner gathering.  
They throw many parties during the year but I think Thanksgiving Dinner is the best they do.  And I'm so glad I'm part of it.  Hope I'll be getting an invitation to it for many years to come.  My only problem is that I need to have more than a few days to recover from FOOD COMA.
 

2 comments:

  1. Inflatable turkey is perfect! Air stuffing.
    That looks like one heck of a great dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulation for the great post. Those who come to read your Information will find lots of helpful and informative tips. Buy B+ Magic Mushrooms Online in Canada

    ReplyDelete