Monday, December 19, 2011

"Crowns & Tiaras"




When is the last time you looked at the sky?  Not looking down to your smart phone.
These days, you will see many people walking on the street looking down.  They are checking their message or sending texts.  It used be you'd see people who were talking to their phones, but they are at least looking where they are going.  
If you want to see something, LOOK UP !  
When you happen to walk the Flat-Iron & East Chelsea District LOOK UP !  
You will see many buildings from the turn of  the century.  Those Buildings have character & decoration, especially at the top of the building.  
Something about the ornamental treatment for the top of those buildings reminds me a Crown or a Tiara.  
Do they have extra attention to the top of the building?  Just because that is the closest to sky?  If you make it more personal and hevenly, somebody in the sky will notice who is in it?
When you come down to those areas to do Christmas Shopping ( which is only a week left ) look up between stores.  Put your shopping bags down,  look at the buildings, you may think you are somewhere in Europe.  
Look for someplace to have "Caffe" not "Coffee".  I have a few ideas for you to have that.  But I think it is better if you discover it yourself.
Sometimes we have to remind ourselves how lucky we are to live such a city. 
We can see the most contemporary styles of buildings rising up.  But, at the same time we can also see many beautiful buildings that are still here waiting for us to rediscover how wonderful those elegant stone buildings are ! 






















There are many buildings in the city which have ornamental details.  
But at this time I took pictures on my way back and forth from Union Square for the Saturday Morning's Famers' Market.  I believe if you look up, you will find beautiful buildings in your neighborhood as well.  If you have any favorite building in this city, please let me know I'll be going there to take a picture.
There is one building I had to include in this blog page, which is "Ansonia Building" in the Upper West Side.  When I came here for the first time I took art-classes in the small Art school located on the 3rd floor of that building.  It will bring back so many memories.  It also makes me feel like I'm in Paris !  
I love that building.  Here it is, The Ansonia standing with elegance !




No comments:

Post a Comment