Friday, October 22, 2010

"JIDAI MATSURI" in Kyoto



This is best I can do for video quality.
BlogSpot's capacity of uploading is so limited.

Almost one year ago I was in Japan visiting my late Mother and my family and friends. On the way to Japan I noticed that we could be in Kyoto for "Jidai Matsuri". So we extended our stay in Kyoto to see this fabulous Costume Parade. Kyoto has 3 big "Matsuri(festivals)" each year. The most famous one is "Gion Matsuri" in Summer. I have been there for that festival once, it was so crowded and so HOT & STEAMY!  I do not wish to go back there for that ever again. Summer in Kyoto is brutal.
I knew what "Jidai Matsuri" is all about but I never had the chance to see it until last year.
It is the Festival of Ages. Dressed in historical costumes dating from 8th century onward. People parade from the "Imperial Palace" to "Heian Shrine". Citizens create 1200 years of the city's history.
As I said before, it is a Parade of Traditional Japanese Costumes worn by people who live in Kyoto. Mayor to Hotel-workers. As you can see in the video, it's joined by Students of High -Schools and Middle-Schools. And Horses and Cows. In ancient Japan, the cow was considered as a source of power and transportation, same as the Horse.
I believe the Textiles for the Costumes are all made in Kyoto, re-created from the huge catalogues of fabric history. Most of the characters are actual persons who did something to change the History of Japan. If you can read Japanese you can see the names on the banners parading along side them.
I do love textiles, so for me this Festival is perfect one. Being in Kyoto, seeing Fantastic Costumes, one after the other, time flies by so quickly. A few hours of standing on the street was so worth it for the pleasure you get. I was standing with a gentleman who was born and lived in Kyoto, now he lives somewhere near by. He was telling me all sorts of stories about the costumes. He told me that not so many people (even people who lives in Kyoto) like this festival compared with others, but he thinks this one is the most "Kyoto Rashii"(meaning the most flavor of Kyoto). And I agreed with him. Colors and Weaving and Prints are so exquisite, and they are not in dark museums. You can see how they move as she or he moves. I always though that Kyoto has the most glorious culture in Japan, after seeing "JIDAI MATSURI" I am so certain that is true.
I have not visited Kyoto in almost 10 years, before last year. Now I don't think I can make plans to go visit Japan without staying in Koyto at least few days. Maybe I should try to be there in May for "Aoi  Matsuri". That is the other festival I have not seen yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment