Sunday, October 17, 2010

"Matsutake Gohan"




I got "Mastutake" from Yuki O.
They are the most expensive mushrooms in Japan.  
Japanese treat them like Italians treat "Truffles".
If you see them in Japan, they will be displayed in a wooden-box.  It is a very seasonal delicacy to have in the Fall.  Since I've got these very special mushrooms, I have to make something very special with them.  
"Dobin Mushi" is the first dish to come to my mind.  It is a soup appetizer containing a few thin slices of "Matsutake".  It will be served in small individual tea pots to the table. Aroma coming from this dish when you fill your cup is incredible.  I think we Japanese sometimes enjoy fragrance from food more than the taste itself.
The other dish I can make is "Matsutake Gohan".  Rice cooked with "Matsutake" and maybe a touch of soy sauce.  We try to eat healthy therefore I do cook only Brown Rice,so I have to make "Matsutake Brown Rice" which I have never tried before, it can't be too bad ?
For us Japanese, if we have Miso-soup and Pickles along with "Matsutake Gohan" that will be enough for dinner.  But for Americans I have to add something, maybe some Fish or Chicken.
As I am getting older, I do prefer  Japanese meals more and more.  But it doesn't help me to lose weight.  What's up with that ?  Could it be something to do with dessert ?  
Japanese desserts don't have butter in them...  You can visit "Minamoto Kiccho An" in Rockefeller Center to see what Japanese desserts look like and taste like.  They have a variety of Japanese Sweets.  Some are all year around, some are seasonal.  Some are flown in from Kamakura Japan, some are made at the site.  I hear some people say "Too pretty to eat !".  I do not have that problem...  
Hot Green Tea with one of those Japanese Sweets makes perfect mid-day snack for me.
If you never visited that store I think you should.  You will see many pretty foods in that shop.


I think "Matsutake Gohan" is ready.  I can say so, because I can smell fragrance from "Matsutake".  It is time me to make "Miso Shiru".  Do you know, it is better to wait to have Rice at least 30 minutes after it finishes cooking.  It is call "Murasu" in Japanese.  Just like you have to wait to cut into cooked Meat  allowing it to redistribute own juices.

       
When I wait "Matsutake Gohan" to "mureru", I will make a "Kaki Tama Miso Shiru". 
It is "Straciatella or Egg Drop Soup" for Japanese.  I do add the thin slices of Scallion into Egg, and after Miso is absorbed into the Dashi add the egg mixture, put the cover on, turn off the heat.  Egg will cook in the left over heat.  Before you serve the Miso Soup you have to break the egg.
I made quick pickles with Persian Cucumbers and Watermelon Radishes to complete this meal. 
Itadaki  Masu!    Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment