Thursday, October 7, 2010

My first Pickling Recipe.




Do you know "Shiso" ?
It a Japanese Herb which is getting very popular here in NYC.
It is an essential Herb in Japanese dishes. When you order "Sashimi" for  Dinner, its always comes with one or two of these Green Leaves.  It has very distinctive flavor you may have already tasted. This Summer, we even found popsicles with it.
From this Spring I have been getting it from "Stokes Farm" in Union Square every Saturday Morning.
This photo (above) is the Flowering Shiso which I'm going to reserve for my special Quick Pickle Recpie.
It became my signature side dish this Summer. When you serve right away, it can be a crunchy salad.
If you keep them in the Frige overnight, it will become quick-pickles. It will keep in the fridge for up to 4~5 days.  Oh, pickling vegetables are Japanese White Turnips (KOKABU) and Persian Cucumbers or Japanese Cucumber, if you can get it.
I occasionally add a few thin match sticks of Ginger and  shakes of "Shichimi" ( Japanese Chili ).
I do make a special salt for this recipe.  It's "Shiso Flowers & Sea Salt".
After cutting vegetables into bitable size, you season with this salt and "Kabosu" ( Japanese Citrus Juice).
Then mix well.  That is all.  "Japanese White Turnips" are also available at few venders in Union Square Market.  "Kaboshu" is available at "Sunrise Market " Japanese Super Market in East Village in NYC.
If you are living in other parts of USA, I'm sure that you can visit Japanese Market to find it or ask them to get it for you.




So, "shiso" is not just pretty plant, you can use it so many ways.
Do you know other way to enjoy "Shiso", please let me know ?
"Shiso" & "Japanese White Turnips" are continue to come to the market one more month or so.  I'll be making it until they will disappear. 

1 comment:

  1. Yum... This will go well with my latest sashimi creation: Blue Cheese and White Miso Puree http://cuceesprouts.com/2010/10/salmon-sashimi-with-blue-cheese-and-whie-miso-puree/

    ReplyDelete