Thursday, October 7, 2010

My first scarf to post.

Hi Everyone. Hope that more than one person visits my blog.
Since my blog is named "Scarf Boys" I should say something about the scarf.
I'll post one of the many scarves I have today.  Actualy this is what I wore last Saturday to go to Farmer's Market at Union Square in NYC.
This one was given to me a few years ago by one of my friends "Ban-chan" in Tokyo. I met her before I came to USA many years ago. That means we have been friends long long time.
This lovely light weight scarf was designed by Jurgen Lehl who is living in Tokyo and designing clothing and accessories since the 70s.  I used to go to his shop in Harajuku to see what is new and sometimes got things from that shop.
When I was living in Tokyo, Harajuku was nothing like Harajuku is now.  If you are not High Fashion Followers you would feel uncomfortable to enter any of those well known Japanese Designers Boutiques.  That was the very beginning of Tokyo Fashion, Yhoji Yamamoto & Comme de Garcons were not happening yet.  Talking about Harajuku, "Kuwazawa School of Design" where I went to study Fashion and Textiles is located between Harajuku and Shibuya.
So, I do know how much Harajuku has changed.
I am talking about Tokyo in 70s.  Then I came to New York. When I visit Tokyo, I stay in Shibuya for convenience, but also brings back so many memories of my student days...
I do miss Harajuku~Aoyama area in 70s ~ 80s.  Come to think of it, I do miss 80s New York as well.
I had so much fun on this island.  There was so many areas I was not supposed to go to but I went any ways...
It was so much more dangerous on the streets in NYC back then, but the excitement will go with danger I guess.
Jonathan still talks about how much more fun he had in the 70s, unfortunately I was still dreaming about coming to New York in Japan then.  At least I arrived here 80s.  Oh ! I do miss New York in 80s.
So, I'll let you know what I was doing in the 80s some other time, if somebody cares to know...
Back to the Scarf, if you have visited Paris you may have noticed that Parisians knows how to use scarves.
Men or Women, they know exactly how to make them look great, why is that ?
Do they take some class on "How to wear Scarves"?
If you grow up with Style everywhere, is it becomes a reflex ?
Unfortunately, we have try harder for it to become second nature.
I do get comments from people that I do use them well. So I'll do my best to show you how I use them my own way. If you care to know more will follow.
It is getting chilly, perfect time to start getting better with our scarves.

1 comment:

  1. i love your blog Hiroki!
    I am in awe of your computer skills and love your story.

    ReplyDelete