Monday, October 11, 2010

I felt like "MURASAKI" this morning.





















Saturday morning I reached for this "Murasaki-Stole".
Actually this is not a stole. It is "Sanjaku" sash for Casual Cotton Kimono we call "Yukata".
Name "Sanjaku" come from the length of this kind of sash, I think. 
This one happens to be "Murasaki Shibori".  Meaning Purple (murasaki) with white Tie-Dye (shibori) patterns on it. I think most people know how to do Tie-Dye. This one is Vegetable dye, I think maybe from Eggplant of some sort.
I bought it in San Francisco many years ago. I used to go to visit my friends in SF at least once a year. 
As you all know, in SF you will find many shops where you can find many things from Asia.
This "Sanjaku" is about 15" x 4 yards, it is very long.  I just fold in half lengthwise, then go around my neck once, then I put split end into the loop. There it is !
At the market I saw "Purple Cauliflower" and "Purple Majesty Potato". 
I have been seeing "Purple Majesty Potato" at "Paffenroth Farm" for few weeks, 
They will continue to bring them to us until next Spring.  This potato will stay Purple even after you boil them.
After you boil till tender, skin them, sprinkle with some chopped Rosemary and Sea-Salt,they will be ready to eat. Of course you can add butter to it, but I don't think its necessary.
This is the First weekend I saw the "Purple Cauliflower" at the market. I had to have it, I wonder if I can make "Purple Soup" tonight ?   I got Leeks and Garlic, can't forget "Purple Majesty Potato". Thes should make enough ingredients for the "Purple Soup" !
So, now I have to remember to get "Low or Non Sodium Chicken Stock".
I think I'm ready to start...
 the pink one is a Watermelon-Radish.
 other favorite fall vegetable of mine.
Murasaki I am talking about here is not just a Purple. Very particular kind of Purple, I call it "Kodai (ancient days)Murasaki ".  You can see it in old kimonos or traditional and formal kimonos.  A very dark eggplant-like Purple.
In Japan, there is Purple which was allowed only for royal families and aristocrats to have kimonos of that color. I would say "Royal Purple" in English ?   I think that is the closest word I can think of for it.  That color "Kodai Murasaki" is my favorite color, even though I do have and wear lots of black clothes.
When I woke up Saturday morning I had no idea that day will be a "Purple-Day"!
When I was working in Tokyo, people in the design room called me "Murasaki-san". 
Because I had a few garments in Murasaki, a Cotton Shirts for Spring time, a Large Short Sleeve Pull-over Organza Shirt for Summer, then Wool Sweaters for Fall ~ Winter all in very similar color. I had other things in Murasaki for all seasons.  I did not wear them all the time. 
But color was so vivid especially against the black, so they did remember me as a person who wears something in that color all the time.  That color became my signature color, after that "Murasaki" became my nickname.  
Believe me, I  do wear black all the time, but that did not became my nickname.  I guess black is not special color for anybody.
Try to remember in the subway in the Winter, how many of us are in black coats  ?

No comments:

Post a Comment